All across the country, most people are experiencing the cooler weather of winter. This means that you are probably spending a lot more time inside of your home, trying to stay warm and cozy. And generally, the more time you spend inside your home, the more time you have to look around and realize just how much stuff you have collected over the years. So, since you’re stuck inside for a few more weeks due to the cold weather, why not use your time wisely and tackle the task of decluttering your home.
Listed below are 8 easy ideas to help declutter your home:
- Start small and declutter your home one drawer, one closet or one room at a time. Trying to organize your entire home in one day or even one weekend will overwhelm you and sabotage your decluttering efforts.
- Set-up lost and found baskets in your home for each family member. As you clean up around your home, place “found” items in the appropriate baskets to be put away at the end of each day.
- A place for everything and everything in its place. Use trays and small containers to organize junk drawers, mail, magazines, laundry rooms, and kitchen spaces.
- Organize your entryway by having a designated place for coats, shoes, and bags so they are not just strewn throughout your house when your family comes home.
- Instead of storing multiple bottles of dishwasher soap, cleaners, shampoos and conditioners under your sink areas, store them in a separate, larger location- like on shelves in the basement or pantry. Just replace the items when necessary, keeping the underneath of your sink areas less cluttered.
- Go through your closets and only keep the items in them that are for the current season. Store non-seasonal clothing and shoes in shallow bins that can be stored underneath of beds.
- If there are items in your home that have not been looked at or used in the last 6 -12 months-get rid of them. Throw, donate, or sell any unnecessary items found hiding in closets and other storage areas.
- After you have finished decluttering your home, follow the rule “one in, one out”. When purchasing something new, get rid of something old in your home that you no longer need. This will help to prevent too much “stuff” from building up again.
We hope that these easy and effective tips help you to get your home a bit more organized, and help to kick the clutter out of your home once and for all!