Are Double Hung Windows Energy Efficient?
Asking yourself "Are energy efficient windows worth it?" or “Are double hung windows energy efficient? The answer to both questions is a resounding “Yes!”, so read on for more information on choosing energy efficient double hung windows.
How Windows Affect Energy Efficiency
If you have old windows, they are drafty. When air leaks from the inside out, you consume more energy to keep the home comfortable. By replacing your old with new ones, you will stop air leaks and curb energy consumption.
If you live in an older home, you may have single pane windows where there's a single pane of glass between your home interior and the outdoors. By selecting triple-pane double hung windows with an argon gas fill, you can triple the protection between indoors and out.
Argon, an inert gas, is less conductive than oxygen, so it keeps heat from passing through the three panes of glass that comprise the window. As you can imagine, this makes new replacement windows much more energy efficient than your current windows.
An optional low-e glass coating prevents the solar heat gain that makes the air conditioner work harder to cool your home. By deflecting UV rays from the house, the low-e coating also protects your art and furniture from the effects of the sun and keeps your home comfortable year round.
Are Energy Efficient Windows Worth It?
Energy Star windows offer twice the energy efficiency as windows manufactured just ten years ago, which means the time is ripe to replace your existing windows. While you will save money and energy with baseline replacement windows, you will enjoy better energy savings if you can purchase mid-range or premium replacement windows, which offer greater insulation and more energy-saving features.
When you replace your existing windows with energy efficient double hung windows, you will enjoy benefits such as:
- A more comfortable house - Double hung windows create a tight seal with the envelope of the home, reducing air leaks between the inside and outside of the home, which means your home will feel more comfortable throughout the year. No more drafts when you're sitting by the window!
- Lower utility bills - When air leaks are reduced, your heating and cooling systems are able to operate efficiently (because cool air isn't seeping out through drafty windows), which lowers your utility bills.
- UV protection - You protect your skin from UV rays, but what about your home? Replacement windows with low-E coating block furniture, art, and rugs from fading as a result of UV exposure.
- Improved safety - The glass used in replacement windows is stronger than the glass used in old windows, which better protects your home from environmental damage and break-ins.
- Higher resale value - Last but not least, energy efficient upgrades are among the top desired renovations by homebuyers, which means investing in energy efficient windows improves your home's potential resale value.
The most energy efficient double hung windows come with the Energy Star certification. By choosing these windows, you may be eligible for a tax credit, another perk of making the switch!
As you can see, there are many reasons why our answer to the question,“are double hung windows energy efficient?” is yes. After exploring the benefits of upgrading your windows to energy efficient double hung windows, are you ready to shop for windows? Get a free quote for replacement windows from Window Nation or learn more about our wood and vinyl double hung windows today.