- Completely unlock your windows by moving the latches on the bottom sash inwards.
- Raise the bottom sash up six to eight inches.
- Locate the tilt hatches on the window’s bottom sash and pull inwards, as though the hatches are meeting in the middle.
- Slowly tilt the window forward towards the interior of the home. The window should be almost flat at a 90-degree angle; however, be sure not to tilt the window too far. Complete this step slowly to avoid damaging the window.
- Slide the top sash down six to eight inches.
- Locate the tilt hatches on the window’s top sash and pull inwards, as though the hatches are meeting in the middle.
- Slowly tilt the window forward towards the interior of the home. The window should be almost flat at a 90-degree angle; however, be sure not to tilt the window too far. Complete this step slowly as not to cause damage.
- Start with the top sash and clean the interior of the window first.
- Slide the top sash back into the frame and clean the exterior of the window.
- Clean the bottom sash, starting with the interior of the window.
- Slide the bottom sash back into place and clean the exterior of the window.
- Put the sash back in frame.
- Put the sash back in the lift rail to close the window. Be sure not to close the window from the top, as your window could be damaged as a result.
Winter is here and you just can’t seem to keep the cold drafts or condensation away. You’re thinking of weighing your options by using a window replacement company, but you start out by checking home improvement supply companies instead. Here are three hardware companies that can get the job done:
Did you know that Lowe’s has project specialists who can assist you with consultation? They go through the sale process much like us: schedule an online consultation, have a project specialist go over your options, and then time for install! One of the cons is a much shorter warranty--we offer a lifetime warranty at Window Nation while Lowe’s guarantees a 1-year minimum. Options are available for longer warranties, but they might cost you more.
79% of Home Depot customers recommend their window and installation services. It doesn’t beat our 97% customer satisfaction rate, but it’s a resource available if you’re still uncertain about a professional window installation company. In comparison to Lowe’s, they offer a lifetime craftmanship warranty and double-lifetime warranties on window hardware and screens. Worried about price? Home Depot offers their own consumer credit card and “The Home Depot Project Loan."
They stand by their “Satisfaction Guarantee” policy, which includes limited labor and product warranties and Sears also provide estimates over the phone. Virtual estimates can be convenient with a busy schedule, but sizing windows that you can’t physically see is tricky. At Window Nation, we rely on face to face estimates to provide the most window accurate measurements and suggestions for each customer. Sears will ask you to measure the windows and provide them with the estimate, but with us you just need an open ear to our recommendations.
Hardware stores are a fair option to replace your windows. However, if you want stronger warranty offers, less worry on measuring, and overall guaranteed window experts, Window Nation is here for you.
Searching for the best replacement window company to fit your needs can be daunting. With so many different companies offering similar products at different prices, how do you know which is the best choice for you? Understandably, the cost of the windows is an important factor in choosing your window replacement company. The first question you’ll want to ask your exterior design consultant is how much your project will cost? Unfortunately, there is no “one-price-fits-all” cost for replacement windows from Window Nation as all of our windows are custom-made, causing the price of the windows to vary from project to project. The price of your windows is determined by:
- Material – Window Nation offers wood and vinyl windows in a variety of styles for your project.
- Style – Choose from a variety of styles, including double hung, bay and bow windows, sliders, venting, and casement windows. Be sure to consider your home’s layout and needs before selecting the style of window you want.
- Finish – Finding the perfect finish for your windows is just as important as selecting the material and style. Choose from seven different interior and woodgrain colors and over thirty exterior colors to perfectly match your home.
- Installation – Installation fees often influence the cost of replacement windows. While installing the windows yourself might be cheaper, trusting a team of professionals to your project will save you the effort that comes with DIY projects. Our certified master installers will ensure your project gets completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Size of the Project – The larger the project, the higher the cost. If you’re looking to replace at least ten windows, consider splitting the projects into two smaller projects to keep costs lower. Replace only the most urgent windows first, then consider replacing other windows.
If you’re interested in receiving quotes from multiple window companies, keep in mind the price promoted in advertisements may not reflect the total cost of the windows. Many companies will use trickery to make prices appear lower than they truly are. Companies may offer windows at a lower rate; however, you may ultimately pay for a lower quality window that won’t last as long as a replacement window from Window Nation.
If you’re looking to replace your windows, skip the showroom and have our exterior design consultants come to your home to discuss the best options for your replacement project. Our design consultants will offer three different options to help you choose the best windows for your budget. The quote you receive will last for one year, but there’s no pressure to buy on the spot. For more information about the cost of replacing the windows in your home, schedule an estimate today.
Are you thinking about replacing your old windows? Our job at Window Nation is not limited to just replacing your windows; we are here to guide each customer on what to expect during your installation. We want each homeowner to be delighted from the moment they pick up the phone until long after their install.
On your install day, a crew will arrive at your home and brief you on what to expect from them before beginning the project. At that time, you can ask any questions you may have. After your briefing, the following will occur:
- The preparation. Installers will place drop cloths around your home to catch any debris that will occur throughout the project. Then, they will proceed to remove your old windows.*
- Out with the old, in with new. Once the old windows are removed, the installers will clean the opening thoroughly and put the new windows in place.
- Insulation and sealing. After the window is put into place, the installers will insulate and seal the frame into place. This is one of the most important part of your install. Insulation is what will keep the cold air and moisture outside, saving you money on energy costs.
- The clean-up. After installers have completed your project, they are responsible for cleaning up. We will dispose of your old windows and remove any debris that our drop cloths didn’t catch. Shortly after your install, one of our auditors will come visit your home to make sure our team installed your windows properly.
*Remember to remove any blinds, items, or curtains prior the crew’s arrival to give them easy access to the windows. It’s also helpful to move any furniture or items away from your doors so the crew can move materials in and out.
Completion times for projects are subject to vary. While we aim to complete installs within a day, unforeseen circumstances like weather may cause a delay. If installers need more time, our service and scheduling team will with work you to discuss what to expect next.
This year, make the home improvement fixes that you have been putting off years. Start off small by adding simple touches, such as new accent furniture or replacing existing lighting fixtures. If you’re looking to make major changes, consider replacing your old, drafty windows with new windows from Window Nation. No matter the project size, following our tips to give your home a shake-up will make your home feel like new again:
- Update Paint – Re-paint the rooms in your house for a quick and easy way to make your home feel new again. Popular colors in 2019 include jewel tones, such as rich greens and golds, and muted colors including dusty pinks and blues. If you’re looking for a subtle change, consider adding an accent wall instead of completely repainting.
- Bring in More Light – If your rooms feel dark and dingy, consider purchasing new lighting fixtures to bring in additional light. Look for the Energy Star seal on the products you purchase for maximum energy efficiency. If you’re looking for a bigger change, replace your existing windows with double hung windows, perfect for rooms that face porches or decks.
- Add Color – Make old furniture feel like new again by adding accent pillows or blankets to add a pop of color to your rooms. Room accents in bright colors will make a splash in drab rooms. Consider pairing bright room accents with black and white furnishings for an extra pop.
- Upgrade your Space – If you’re looking to make big changes to your home in 2019, consider replacing your existing windows with new bay windows from Window Nation. Bay windows can change the look and feel of your rooms, creating an inviting reading nook or a unique look into your backyard.
- Add a Backsplash – Your kitchen is one of the most-used rooms in your house, so why not make it fun? Replace old, boring tile with a patterned backsplash for a more modern appearance. Geometric patterns are particularly trendy, adding an interesting pop to your space.
If you feel your home is stuck in a rut, consider making changes to your rooms to make your old home feel like new again. Start off small by adding pops of color and patterns to your existing rooms or make larger changes by replacing your existing windows with bay windows from Window Nation.
If you decide 2019 is the year to replace your windows, our exterior design consultants are here to help with all your window replacement needs. Schedule your in-home consultation today!
2019 is TOMORROW, and many of us will celebrate this fresh start with our friends or family. Window Nation wants to take a break from the vinyl windows/home improvement talk to share some exciting appetizer ideas for your New Year's Eve celebration.
Fun Fact: Did you know that eating black-eyed peas for New Years is a history-dated tradition? The concept originated in Africa, but it is believed to have spread throughout America during the Civil War. Survivors of the war depended on black-eyed peas as a major food source to get through the harsh Winter. Today, many people eat them as good luck for transitioning into the New Year. Some say you must eat 365 peas, one for each day of the year, but others believe one spoonful will do! If you don’t like black-eyed peas, don’t worry we still have you covered with some tasty recipe ideas below!
Buffalo Potato Wedges: (GeniusKitchen.com)
- 6-8 potatoes sliced in wedges
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- ¼ cup of butter
- ½ cup of hot pepper sauce
- Blue cheese salad dressing (or any dressing of your choice)
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Arrange potato wedges on sheet and drizzle with olive oil Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Bake at 375º for 30 minutes until tender.
- Remove pan from oven.
- Combine the hot sauce and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on HIGH until melted.
- Stir to combine.
- Drizzle mixture over potato wedges and return to oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with salad dressing for dipping.
Hot Ham and Cheese Pinwheels (KevinandAmanda.com)
- ham and swiss cheese
- pizza dough
- brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dijon mustard
- poppy seeds
- Unroll your croissant dough and press out.
- Add slices of cheese and ham on top. Roll up the dough and seal the seam.
- Cut the roll into slices. Place on a greased pan.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and poppy seeds in a sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk until the glaze is smooth and combined, then pour over the rolls.
- Place in the fridge for 24 hours then bake uncovered for 25 mins or until brown. Enjoy!
Going out to eat instead? Here are three restaurants that serve great dishes:
Fire: This award-winning Cleveland, OH restaurant serves what you need from pizza to rainbow trout entrees.
Townsend: This French-style restaurant in Philadelphia, PA has some great menu pairing specials going on for the New Year’s celebration!
The Eagle Food & Beer Hall: If you like sticking to the basics with a little twist, this is the place for you. You’re never too old for grilled cheese or sloppy joe!
Window Nation wishes you a very Happy New Year, Bon Appétit!
Here are the top 3 reasons our doors are a great fit for you:
Security and ease of access
The days of inside-only access to your patio are long gone! Today’s more modern door designs come with top of the line security features including an exterior key lock and a secondary dead bolt. You can enjoy a sliding door which can be accessed from the outside as well as a peace of mind from the extra lock security.
Our 100% vinyl screen frames are designed to last even in the harsh months of Winter. Much like our vinyl replacement windows, these frames are less susceptible to damage and are designed to move smoother in comparison to standard frames. This offers you a smooth, clean look to your home -- a great bonus to the quality.
Saving energy means saving money! Energy.gov shared that a common way air and heat escape the home is through the cracks or openings of windows and doors. Polypropylene is a plastic that is commonly used for microwavable containers and bags made to preserve food. We use the same material in the composition of our doors and Energy Star windows because of its high resistance to heat and moisture. This not only makes our product more robust, but more efficient to keeping moisture and air outside where they belong.
With our sliding, entry, and French doors, you are guaranteed a long-lasting and efficient investment. We offer a lifetime limited warranty should you have any issues with your door, but we are always working to provide the best quality in the market!