Keeping your home cool this summer is essential for comfort and in some cases important for good health. As the summer sun heats things up outside, having a cool home to return to is important. For babies, pets and the elderly, it is important that they do not over heat. There are a few options when it comes to keeping your house cool. The fastest and easiest way to keep your house cool is by using an air conditioning system. However, this can increase your summer energy budget.
If you are going to have an air conditioner this summer, there are a few things you will want to do to help lower energy costs. For optimal efficiency of an AC unit you may consider the following:
- Has your air conditioner had a tune up this year? You do not want any mechanical problems cause your AC unit run double time.
- Is the filter being regularly changed to keep things running smoothly?
- Try to keep you AC temperature at a regular temp. This will help keep the unit from over exerting itself.
There are a few things you can do around your home to keep cooling costs down this summer. Here are some great energy saving ideas for the summer:
- Make sure that you have good windows. Replacing the windows in your home can be expensive up front. However, in the long run, it has the potential to save you a substantial amount of money on heating and cooling costs. Click here to learn more!
- Run the dryer and dishwasher at night so it does not add any heat to your home during the day. Unplug any unnecessary appliances you are not using.
- Keep the washer on cold water to save energy by not heating the water.
- Keep shades and windows closed during the day and open at night.
- Using fans to help keep your home cool is always a good idea too. Ceiling fans are great tools for circulating air and keeping things cool.
Keeping things cool can be a challenge on hot, summer days. However, with the proper tools it is possible to keep your home’s temperature at a comfortable setting. Best of all, with the energy saving tips mentioned you can run your cooling units and machines guilt free!