It is the time of year again when the weather is colder, the days are shorter and people are spending more evenings indoors by the fire sipping hot cocoa. And while this all may seem idyllic, if you have not properly winterized your Cleveland home, you could be letting your heat and money escape out of your windows and be unknowingly allowing the drafty winter weather inside.
Luckily, there are some easy and inexpensive DIY tips to ensure that your home is ready to keep you warm this winter. Not a DIY’er? Not problem because if you would like some expert help to get your home winterized, the experts at Window Nation in Ohio are ready to help. We can help you to choose and install replacement windows and doors, along with installing wind-resistant vinyl siding on the exterior of your Cleveland home. Back to those who want a to take on winterizing the home, here are some tips:
- Adding insulation- Check the amount of insulation in your home, especially in the attic. There should be at least 12 inches of insulation present. Adding insulation will prevent the heat in your home from escaping out. Also, adding throw rugs to bare floors during the winter will help to insulate and keep your home (and feet) warmer.
- Check for drafts- Gaps around windows or doors should be sealed, and door sweeps should be added to exterior doors try to prevent drafts from entering your home. Unless of course you are tired of drafts and would rather upgrade. See next tip…
- Replacement windows/doors- If it is in the budget, replacing your windows and doors with energy efficient models will save you a lot of money in both heating and cooling cost over time.
- Maintain your current HVAC system- Make sure that your furnace, filters and ducts are routinely cleaned so that the system is working as efficiently as possible.
- Upgrade your heating system- If your current HVAC system is 10 years or older, upgrading to a newer energy efficient HVAC system will use less resources, saving you money while keeping your home warm this winter.
For more information about winterizing your Cleveland home, contact the experts at Window Nation today. Our experts will work with you to meet your family and home’s individual needs in order to make sure that you receive the best windows, doors and siding to update the look and energy efficiency of your Ohio home.