Windows are a prominent part of your home. Color, size and placement are very important. They are a source of ventilation and a light. Replacing your old windows with new vinyl replacement windows will update your home and make it more energy efficient. Not to mention, increase your curb appeal. But what do you do with these old windows that have been removed from your home? Do you just recycle them? Here are a few ideas to repurpose those old windows by using them in your home décor.
- Turn your old window into a family activity and message board! If your old window frames are divided, you can use the frame as a central message and planning station for your family. Here’s how;
- Paint the frame to match your home décor colors.
- Add some cup hooks to the bottom of the frame. Cup hooks help keep track of car keys! You can even hang a calendar from one of these hooks!
- Put a piece of thin cork board in one of the sections for use with thumb tacks. Attach the cork board to a piece of cardboard and then glue to the window frame.
- Put a small piece of chalk board in another of the windows for writing notes and grocery lists. You can make your own piece of chalk board with special chalk board paint on a piece of cardboard.
- Fill other sections with photos attached to cardboard, fabric or leave open.
Fill a window frame, with or without glass in it, with scrap booking paper or pieces of fabric to decorate any room in your home. By adding colors that go with your bedding this can be a nice large piece to hang above a headboard. Or, add patterns that match your mud room, place a small shelf on the top, add a couple coat hooks to the side and you have a great conversation starter in your mud room that can hold umbrellas and hats!
Use a glass-free window frame for a fun, custom jewelry holder. You can add simple hooks or cabinet knobs or even buttons for hanging bracelets and necklaces. By stringing a small wire or string between the small sections you can hang bracelets, earrings and more. This can be a fun and whimsical addition to any girl’s room.
New windows are a great way to improve your house in many ways. Just because your old windows are no longer doing what they were originally designed to do doesn’t make them useless. Use your imagination and repurpose those windows to add fun, elegance and design to your home décor.