You know all those cleaning tasks that you have been putting off until spring, well guess what? Spring is just days away and it’s finally time to stop procrastinating and tackle the spring cleaning of your home! The pros at Window Nation want to make this year’s spring cleaning as easy as possible for you by providing you with 5 helpful interior spring cleaning tips and 5 exterior spring cleaning tips!
Since you have probably been cooped up in your home more than you would have liked due to winter weather, let’s first head outside.
Outdoor spring cleaning tips:
- Get your deck ready for relaxing and entertaining. Use an outdoor broom to brush off any leaves or other debris that may have built up (especially in the corners) over the winter. Replace flowerpots or other deck containers that you will soon fill with plants and flowers.
- Check your homes gutters; make sure that they are still securely fastened to your home. Clear out any debris that may have built up in them over the winter. Clean gutters insure that water is being properly directed from your home.
- Clean out your outdoor trash cans and get them smelling nice before the hot weather really hits. Empty all your outdoor trash cans, lay them on their side, squirt a little dish soap in them, hose them out, and allow them to air dry.
- Clean up the yard. Rake up and remove all the leaves, sticks, and other items that have blown into your yard over the winter. Rake out your garden beds and get them ready for planting.
- Dirt and mold can build up over the winter, dulling the appearance of your siding and creating a film on the outside of windows. Use a hose or pressure washer to clean your home’s siding and the exterior side of its windows.
Now that you’ve had some fresh air from doing some outdoor spring cleaning around your home, let’s head back inside. Before you get started inside save yourself some time by putting together a “cleaning caddy”. Place all the cleaning supplies you will use inside of it. Having everything in one portable spot will make the cleaning process go much smoother and save you on time.
Inside spring cleaning tips:
- The first task on your spring cleaning list should be to declutter your home, especially storage areas like closets, dressers, basements, and attics; you know all the places you have just been stuffing things you didn’t know what else to do with all winter. Donate and sell items that you no longer need or want and organize the rest.
- Now that things are organized it’s time to dust. A lot of dust can build up in your home- on shelves, in cupboards and drawers, along baseboards, and on walls. Spring is the perfect time of year to get out your favorite duster or even just a damp cloth and complete a thorough dusting of your home.
- Move couches, chairs and other large pieces of furniture (with help of course) and clean up underneath of and behind those items. Same goes for the areas behind large appliances found in kitchen and laundry areas; you will be amazed at how much dirt and debris you may find.
- Deep clean your carpets. If you don’t have a carpet cleaner of your own they can easily be rented. There is no better feeling than digging your toes into a clean feeling and fresh smelling carpet.
- Clean all the mirrors and windows found in your home. Your home’s windows are probably a bit dirtier than you even realize. Once they are deep cleaned you will be amazed how much more sunlight they allow into your home.