Have you ever heard this? “Hey! You make a better door than a window!” If you’re over the age of 30, you probably have, especially if you’ve ever accidentally stood in front of the television while your dad was trying to watch the Eagles–Steelers game. Well, if you have a window that would be much better as a sliding glass door or French door in Harrisburg, it may be time for some remodeling.
The beautiful thing about your home is that it is yours. You can do anything you want with it–well, as long as Tom Lesser at the Harrisburg Code Enforcement Office says it’s okay. And one of the most cost-effective remodeling jobs you can do for your Pennsylvania home is to turn a window into a door.
Doors offer almost everything a window can offer, and more.
- Unless you’re a certain groundhog, you’re probably desperate to see the Pennsylvania sunlight from time to time. If you need a bit more light in your home, a door can let in much more than a window.
- If you want to be able to open the house up and let lots of air in, a door wins every time.
- If you want to have access to an area of your yard, walking out a door is way easier than climbing out the window. Not to mention you look less guilty to the Harrisburg Bureau of Police.
- If you want to be able to bring large pieces of furniture into your home, new French doors will open up a giant space to move through. Your window can’t compete with that.
But, putting in a door can create some problems if it is not installed professionally.
- A certified installer will make sure that your new doors will be sealed properly, so that you can take full advantage of the latest in energy efficiency. Especially in Pennsylvania where the winter chill can range from uncomfortable to brutal at the drop of a hat.
- Unless you’re taking a ride on the Pride of the Susquehanna Riverboat, you really don’t want to feel a lot of moisture when you’re sitting indoors. A professional will make sure everything is plumb and that there is no way for moisture to get in and cause warping or mold.
If you have a window that you think would make a beautiful location for new sliding glass doors or elegant French doors, look no further than Window Nation for help. With our wide selection of options, colors, textures, and features, we’re like the Broad Street Market of doors. Let our Angi Super Service award-winning team walk you through the processes from beginning to end, and help you get the perfect doors for your Harrisburg home.
You will be absolutely amazed at how much of a difference new doors can make for your home in Harrisburg, and we can’t wait to see the smile on your face. Reach out to us today, and let’s start dreaming together.
Here are the top 3 reasons our doors are a great fit for you:
Security and ease of access
The days of inside-only access to your patio are long gone! Today’s more modern door designs come with top of the line security features including an exterior key lock and a secondary dead bolt. You can enjoy a sliding door which can be accessed from the outside as well as a peace of mind from the extra lock security.
Our 100% vinyl screen frames are designed to last even in the harsh months of Winter. Much like our vinyl replacement windows, these frames are less susceptible to damage and are designed to move smoother in comparison to standard frames. This offers you a smooth, clean look to your home — a great bonus to the quality.
Saving energy means saving money! Energy.gov shared that a common way air and heat escape the home is through the cracks or openings of windows and doors. Polypropylene is a plastic that is commonly used for microwavable containers and bags made to preserve food. We use the same material in the composition of our doors and Energy Star windows because of its high resistance to heat and moisture. This not only makes our product more robust, but more efficient to keeping moisture and air outside where they belong.
With our sliding, entry, and French doors, you are guaranteed a long-lasting and efficient investment. We offer a lifetime limited warranty should you have any issues with your door, but we are always working to provide the best quality in the market!
There are extra costs to owning your own home. When things break down, you have to fix them. When the lawn needs to be mowed, you have to buy the gas for your lawn mower. If you want to enjoy beautiful annual flowers, you’re going to have to fork over the cash to plant them every spring. If you want to stay cozy warm through the winter, you are going to have to pay to heat your home. You don’t have a landlord to pay for any of these things. Is that why you’re here? Are you feeling the bite of that energy bill?
Are you noticing how much of your monthly income is going out the window–quite literally? Here are a few ways your home can cost you money and some ideas for keeping more of that money in your pocket, where it belongs.
If you have old, leaky, drafty windows, you might as well keep those windows wide open. All of that expensive heat you are generating inside your home is going right out those windows. However, it doesn’t have to. Replacing old windows with new double or triple pane windows with Low-E coatings is a cost effective way to upgrade the efficiency of your home. Find out about our energy efficient windows ->
There are many ways your home can “leak” precious warm (and cold) air. It is vital to do an inspection of your exterior walls and seal any holes or gaps you find. Make sure you look closely around window and door frames, or places where pipes and electrical wires (or other items) pass through your exterior walls.
If you have forced-air heating or cooling ducts in your home, be sure to make certain that these are properly sealed. The EPA asserts that a fifth of the air that flows through ductwork often leaks out. This can cost you money.
The siding on your home is like a nice, warm blanket. Like a warm blanket, siding is great for keeping heat in your home. Siding has insulation that works to resist heat transfer. If it is warm inside, the warmth is going to stay longer. If it is hot outside, that heat is going to stay out longer. Upgrading the siding on your home is one of the best ways to lower your energy bills. It is also a great way to give your home a face lift and get excited about it again.
All doors lose heat, but sliding glass doors are especially good at it. Not only can heat escape through old weather stripping and seals, it will also be going right through the glass. While you’ll benefit from replacing any of the doors in your home, replacing old sliding glass doors with doors that take advantage of new heat resistant technology is really going to make a difference.
REPLACE OUT-OF-DATE APPLIANCES
Old heating units and air conditioners can cost you an arm and a leg without you ever realizing it. New infrared heaters are far more energy efficient than those old, coiled heaters. There has been quite a bit of enhancement in air conditioner technology. If your air conditioning unit is older than ten years old, it is definitely time to upgrade it.
Give your home the cool and hot air when it needs it. If you have a programmable thermostat installed in your home, you’re sure to notice a reduction on your energy bills in only a couple of months.
IS IT TIME TO UPGRADE?
While we may not be able to help you with all of the ways you can make your home more energy efficient, we can get you on track with the most advanced door, window, and siding options available. At Window Nation, we have an incredible selection to help you meet your budget and get the most bang for your buck. We can also make sure these products are installed properly to take advantage of their incredible Energy Star efficiency. Reach out to one of our online representatives and let’s set up a free, in-home estimate for you. What do you have to lose–except more money out of the window?
Summer is gone, fall has begun, and Thanksgiving is just around the corner. It’s enough to make anyone feel overwhelmed. Stress is normal, but we need to know how to limit it and keep it at a manageable level. How can we do that with the holidays upon us and the stress already beginning to build?
Are you going somewhere for Thanksgiving and feeling overwhelmed by the plans you have to make to get there. You will need to schedule your time off with your boss, figure out how you will get there, and decide where you will be staying. You need to choose which clothes you will need to bring, how much you are going to pack, and what personal items to tuck in your suitcase. Maybe you are flying and that makes you anxious or perhaps there will be family and friends there that you are not comfortable with, or just like to avoid. Are you thinking about the long lines and delays at airports? Here are some tips to make it less stressful for you, so you can enjoy the holidays.
You should always plan on arriving early for every step of your trip. This way if the unexpected happens, you still can arrive on time and not feel hurried. You never know when you will have delays, traffic jams, lost luggage, or mishaps. Know when to travel. Consider when the traffic will be lighter or choose days that are not as busy (and not as expensive) for airlines. Also, be sure to know baggage requirements beforehand. Pack some snacks and beverages for those times there are no rest areas in sight and make sure to follow airline regulations regarding snacks while flying. Return home a day early, before you have to get back to the regular grind of work or school. Take that extra day to unpack and re-adjust after traveling. You will be glad you did. Also, don’t try to do too much in a short period of time. Schedule your holiday vacation allowing plenty of time to enjoy it.
Are you hosting a Thanksgiving dinner and feeling the pressure of all the plans you have to make? You might be thinking of whom you should invite, who will actually be coming, where your guests will be staying. Then the menu needs to be planned, food has to be purchased, your home has to be cleaned and decorated…the list is endless. Can you do it? Yes, you can! Plan early and take it step by step to make it a special celebration with the ones you love.
Here are 10 tips on how to reduce Thanksgiving stress if you are hosting:
- Make a list of the guests you have invited, and then add an extra 2-3 to that number.
- Find out if anyone has a special dish they would like to bring.
- Ask people to help; delegate jobs to them.
- Ask guests if there are any dietary restrictions or other accommodations needed.
- Plan a menu; be sure to include all courses.
- Be sure you have all the recipes you will need.
- Write a thorough grocery list.
- Write a list of other things you will need like decorations and paper goods.
- Plan out the days that you will shop, cook and clean ahead of time.
- Write down when certain foods need to be cooked etc…to keep you on schedule.
Take your time to savor and enjoy the fellowship with family and friends. When Thanksgiving comes, you will be glad that you planned ahead to make it a special time for all of your guests. You can sit back once everyone has left and feel thankful for all you have: your friends and family, that beautiful home to experience the joy of Thanksgiving in, and the security, comfort, and beauty that came with those windows and doors from Window Nation, your replacement window specialists. Happy Holidays to you indeed.
Fall is such a wonderful season. Some of the best memories are made during this time of year while apple picking, trick-or-treating, pumpkin carving, and maybe even while taking a trip to a corn maze. Fall is also a time when there’s a change in your wardrobe from flip flops to shoes and t-shirts to scarves. Since fall means a change in weather, there is also a change in the conditioning of your home. Improving and fixing up your home can be refreshing; but most importantly, it will keep your home safe and more energy efficient for the colder months to come. Maybe you have noticed your home seems a bit drafty? Have you noticed your heating bills have increased? Maybe the exterior of your home needs a facelift before another cold and harsh winter? Let’s take a look at some common fall home improvements.
Windows can do wonders on the appearance and insulation of your home. With the right window, you can transform a room and seal out harsh winds, snow, and rain. If your current windows seem outdated or small and you’re looking to improve their performance, a fall window replacement should be on your to-do list.
If you answered yes to having a drafty space within your home, another area that may need a facelift is your doors. If there is any space at all around a doorway, cold wind can enter and greatly alter the climate inside your home. Whether you are in need of an entry door, French door, or a sliding door, we have you covered, and we are willing to help you locate the best door to fit and complete your project.
Many homeowners have taken to vinyl siding for its flawless appearance and its durability, providing lasting protection for decades. At Window Nation, we take pride in our vinyl siding projects because we are so confident in our products. Not only does vinyl siding look great, but it provides a deeper barrier from harmful elements. We also provide a variety of vinyl accessories to put the finishing touches on your home and make it look complete. Along with a siding renovation, an inspection of your gutters may be in order to make sure no maintenance is needed before the long winter months.
There are other projects you may have on your to-do list this fall such as roof assessment and repair or exterior painting. With all these tasks looming, there can be times when it seems like they will never get done before the snow flies. We are here to help you. At Window Nation we want to assist you in achieving an energy-efficient and beautiful home. We offer financing, special offers, and free estimates on your fall home improvement projects to make sure you can achieve your goals; and we are known for our value and high-quality installation of your customized products. Contact us today, and breathe a sigh of relief, because at Windows Nation we solve problems by installing solutions for you.
Are you aware that National S’mores Day is August 10th? If you love s’mores than you probably are. It is one of the tastiest days of the year. But do you know that s’mores aren’t the same for everyone? Gasp! It’s true. Some people have different ways to enjoy this delectable, gooey treat. So, pull up a log and fire up the bonfire because we’re going to be talking about different s’mores recipes and how you can get ready for this succulent holiday.
One of the easiest treats to cook over a campfire is marshmallows, especially if you’re the type of person who burns the outside till it is coal black, and filled with warm sugary goodness. So it only makes sense that someone would decide to turn this gooey, roasted treat into something more spectacular. In fact, it was so spectacular, it was originally called “some mores,” as in, “may I please have some more.” The first published recipe for “some mores” was in the 1927 publication of Tramping and Trailing with the Girl Scouts.
The original recipe for s’mores is a simple one. All that is required is a heated marshmallow and chocolate between two graham crackers. But through the years it has taken on many variations. Some of them are quite fancy. Here are a few varieties that you may find tickle your taste buds:
- If you’re a fan of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, you may like our first recipe. It takes the original recipe and adds peanut butter to it by substituting the chocolate for a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. So, this yummy Reese’s s’mores recipe is graham crackers, marshmallow, and a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup!
- If you don’t care for chocolate, you can try replacing it with something else. There are many folks who consider a s’mores to be graham crackers, lemon curd, and marshmallow.
- You can add fruit to the mix in many ways. You use the usual marshmallow and graham cracker and then add some yummy raspberries, blueberries or strawberries! Or make it a triple berry and add all three! If you’re a banana fan then a few slices of banana in the middle of the melted marshmallow and chocolate goodness would be great too.
- If you want to get adventurous, you can throw in some melted caramel. Graham crackers, chocolate, melted caramel, and marshmallow are sure to have your family asking for some more.
- Some people take a different route. Instead of changing the filling, they replace the crackers–well, not entirely. They use dark chocolate graham crackers, which are sort of like turning your s’mores into Oreo cookie melts. And who’s to say that you can’t change up the fillings with these also! Just think, melted marshmallow with caramel sauce in-between two warm and gooey chocolate covered graham crackers! YUM!
There are lots and lots of options when it comes to making s’mores, everyone’s tastes and styles are unique. Here at Window Nation we know all about unique styles, and options. We have hundreds of options when it comes to windows and doors. If you’re looking for the window and door people with s’more options and the best service around then look no further. Give us a call today!
You know all those cleaning tasks that you have been putting off until spring, well guess what? Spring is just days away and it’s finally time to stop procrastinating and tackle the spring cleaning of your home! The pros at Window Nation want to make this year’s spring cleaning as easy as possible for you by providing you with 5 helpful interior spring cleaning tips and 5 exterior spring cleaning tips!
Since you have probably been cooped up in your home more than you would have liked due to winter weather, let’s first head outside.
Outdoor spring cleaning tips:
- Get your deck ready for relaxing and entertaining. Use an outdoor broom to brush off any leaves or other debris that may have built up (especially in the corners) over the winter. Replace flowerpots or other deck containers that you will soon fill with plants and flowers.
- Check your homes gutters; make sure that they are still securely fastened to your home. Clear out any debris that may have built up in them over the winter. Clean gutters insure that water is being properly directed from your home.
- Clean out your outdoor trash cans and get them smelling nice before the hot weather really hits. Empty all your outdoor trash cans, lay them on their side, squirt a little dish soap in them, hose them out, and allow them to air dry.
- Clean up the yard. Rake up and remove all the leaves, sticks, and other items that have blown into your yard over the winter. Rake out your garden beds and get them ready for planting.
- Dirt and mold can build up over the winter, dulling the appearance of your siding and creating a film on the outside of windows. Use a hose or pressure washer to clean your home’s siding and the exterior side of its windows.
Now that you’ve had some fresh air from doing some outdoor spring cleaning around your home, let’s head back inside. Before you get started inside save yourself some time by putting together a “cleaning caddy”. Place all the cleaning supplies you will use inside of it. Having everything in one portable spot will make the cleaning process go much smoother and save you on time.
Inside spring cleaning tips:
- The first task on your spring cleaning list should be to declutter your home, especially storage areas like closets, dressers, basements, and attics; you know all the places you have just been stuffing things you didn’t know what else to do with all winter. Donate and sell items that you no longer need or want and organize the rest.
- Now that things are organized it’s time to dust. A lot of dust can build up in your home- on shelves, in cupboards and drawers, along baseboards, and on walls. Spring is the perfect time of year to get out your favorite duster or even just a damp cloth and complete a thorough dusting of your home.
- Move couches, chairs and other large pieces of furniture (with help of course) and clean up underneath of and behind those items. Same goes for the areas behind large appliances found in kitchen and laundry areas; you will be amazed at how much dirt and debris you may find.
- Deep clean your carpets. If you don’t have a carpet cleaner of your own they can easily be rented. There is no better feeling than digging your toes into a clean feeling and fresh smelling carpet.
- Clean all the mirrors and windows found in your home. Your home’s windows are probably a bit dirtier than you even realize. Once they are deep cleaned you will be amazed how much more sunlight they allow into your home.
Along with being replacement window specialists, Window Nation also offers services to replace doors and siding on homes. For information about any of our quality services, contact us today!
At Window Nation, we are proud to have a relationship with many of the top radio personalities in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and the District of Columbia. But, before we introduce you to our friends, we’d like to start by clearing up a misconception many people have about endorsements.
When you hear a radio personality say how much they love a product, what is the first thing that comes into your mind? Do you instantly tell yourself that they get paid to say those nice things? It is only natural. But, how long do you think those radio personalities would keep their audiences if they endorsed products that were not as good as advertised? Not long. That is why they are careful to make sure the companies they make a relationship with actually do the job they say they do.
We are proud to have earned the endorsement of so many well known radio personalities because when they say good things about Window Nation, we know they’ve done their homework. They have studied us, tested us, and had us install products in their homes. When they say our windows and doors are of the highest quality, it really means something. They are putting their reputations on the line when they endorse our products and services, and they don’t take that lightly. Neither do we! We work hard every day to honor their endorsements by doing our very best to maintain the highest level of products and service.
So, who endorses Window Nation? If you live in Philly, you’ll recognize such names as Andre Gardener, Anthony Gargano, Harry Mayes, Jim Gearhart, Preston Elliot, and Rhea Hughes. In Ohio you’re sure to know Mike Trivisonno, Alan Cox, Java Joel, John Lanigan, Ken Carman, and Brian Fowler. If you live in Maryland or Northern Virginia, these names should ring a bell: Tony Kornheiser, Vinny Cerrato, Colleen Carew, Grant Paulsen and Danny Rouhier.
If you’d like to hear what your favorite radio personality has to say about Window Nation, pop over to our endorsement page
and have a listen. You’ll hear from their own lips what they think of our courteous and professional installation services, product durability, and product selection.
We’d like to thank all of our endorsers for putting their reputations on the line in support of our company and our products. As we look to 2016, we look forward to increasing our list of satisfied customers whether they are famous radio personalities or not. We pledge to continue to do all we can to offer the best selection of the most affordable doors, windows, and siding available anywhere.
Wouldn’t life be better if every time you needed to know how to do something a professional appeared to help you? The computer printer isn’t printing? No problem. Poof! A technician appears and explains that the spooler inside your computer isn’t functioning. With a couple of clicks, it’s all working again. Can’t figure out why your car won’t start? No problem. Poof! A mechanic appears and quickly determines that it is because your trunk didn’t close properly and the light bulb inside the vehicle drained the battery. In no time, the mechanic has your battery charged and the trunk latch repaired. Problem solved. There are so many ways that life would be better if a knowledgeable professional would just show up and figure things out.
When you’re looking at your home and wondering what windows you absolutely need in order to reduce your heating bill to a manageable level, wouldn’t it be nice if a professional would just appear and help you solve the problem? When you’re looking at your roof and you need to know what it is going to cost to make it stop leaking, wouldn’t it be sweet if a technician would just appear out of nowhere and walk you through the options? Poof! At Window Nation, we do just that. Well, not exactly that. Our technicians won’t appear out of nowhere and scare you half to death, but you can schedule a free in-home estimate and have a professional come right to your home. You don’t have to weed through tons of information all by yourself. Our agents have all the information you need.
Getting new windows
, and roofing can be a daunting task. There are a ton of options and your budget may not allow you to go all out and get the top-of-the-line everything. Don’t worry. Your Window Nation service professional will help you isolate the products and features that will get you all the benefits you’re looking for, and help you fit those features into your budget. They can explain which products are more expensive and what you get for the extra money. They can analyze your home and customize the products to take advantage of your home’s placement to the sun. Your Window Nation specialist knows all the details, so you don’t have to. You just explain what you need and they’ll outline the options that will get you there.
Life is better when a knowledgeable professional just shows up and figures things out. When you’re ready to get that home upgrade taken care of, just go here
and start the process. Your Window Nation Upgrade Specialist is waiting to assist you. POOF!