Replacing Old Wood Windows: All You Need to Know
Are you wondering if it's time to replace those old wood windows? Find out what you need to know before you start the process of replacing old wood windows to make the best choice for your home.
When to Replace Old Windows
When your old wood windows are failing to protect your home, it's time to replace them. So what does this mean? Signs it is time to replace old wood windows include:
- Windows have gaps that let in drafts or insects
- Windows do not provide soundproofing
- Window frames are rotting
- Window sashes are stuck
- Windows are broken
- Desire for energy efficient windows
Pros and Cons of Wood Windows
There are pros and cons of wood windows; review these before you start shopping for wood windows.
- Maintaining Wood Windows: Wood windows do require regular painting, something vinyl windows don't need. While painting windows is expensive and time-consuming, paint helps the windows last longer than vinyl replacement windows.
- Cost: The main drawback you'll hear is the cost of wood replacement windows; they are more expensive than vinyl replacement windows. However, that's not all bad. For the higher price point, you will get windows with more longevity (provided you do the maintenance) and better performance in heat and humidity. The specific cost of wood windows depends on the characteristics you choose in a window, so ask your window installer for a quote to compare the numbers.
- Curb Appeal: For historic homes, wood windows are the only choice that maintains the home's character and value. If you replace original wood windows with vinyl windows that are not the right style and fit, expect to see your home value and curb appeal dip. Wood windows have a classic look and feel. Many window shoppers prefer them to vinyl for this reason. Aside from style, there are other reasons to choose wood windows.
- Boosts Home Value: Wood replacement windows tend to boost home value which means you'll get back a portion of what you spent when you go to sell the home.
- Environmentally Friendly: Wood windows are the more environmental choice, so if sustainability is something that's important to you, choose wood.
Wood Windows from Window Nation
You know your windows need to be replaced and you feel confident in choosing wood windows, so what's next?
Determine what you want in a window, get estimates, and hire a window installer to replace your old windows.
At Window Nation, we create wood windows in a range of popular styles from picture windows to casement and double hung windows. We can also create wood windows in custom shapes. High-quality wood windows start with the right materials. We use Ponderosa pine, a pine species renowned for its durability and rot resistance.
Our wood windows are crafted to Energy Star guidelines and come with weather stripping on both sides to stop drafts from passing through the window. Our wood windows are also coated with water-repellent preservative, which protects the wood from mildew, splitting, and warping that could impact performance. Just like our vinyl replacement windows, our wood windows tilt in for easy cleaning.
Browse our wood window styles today to find your perfect fit in windows, or reach out to speak to our experts about any questions you have on replacing old wood windows and when you’re ready, easily schedule a free in-home estimate for your wood replacement windows.