“How do I clean a double hung window” is a very common question that Cincinnatians ask us at Window Nation Cincinnati. Double hung windows open at both the top and the bottom. The newer models are designed to make them easier to clean both sides from inside your home in case the Cincinnati weather is too brisk. For this reason they are a very popular option when choosing windows. We are here to help you keep your Ohio home’s windows looking beautiful.
Steps for Cleaning Double Hung Windows:
- If it’s colder out, get on your Cincinnati Bengals jacket, or any other type of coat in your house because this can take a moment.
- Completely unlock your windows by moving the latches on the bottom sash inwards.
- Raise the bottom sash up six to eight inches.
- Locate the tilt hatches on the window’s bottom sash, break off some of that Cincinnati ice that may have collected, and pull inwards, as though the hatches are meeting in the middle.
- Slowly tilt the window forward towards the interior of the home. The window should be almost flat at a 90-degree angle; however, be sure not to tilt the window too far. Complete this step slowly to avoid damaging the window.
- Slide the top sash down six to eight inches.
- Locate the tilt hatches on the window’s top sash and pull inwards, as though the hatches are meeting in the middle.
- Slowly tilt the window forward towards the interior of the home. The window should be almost flat at a 90-degree angle; however, be sure not to tilt the window too far, or it’ll fall into the moist Ohio soil, and you’ll have to start all over again. So complete this step slowly as not to cause damage.
- Start with the top sash and clean the interior of the window first.
- Slide the top sash back into the frame and clean the exterior of the window.
- Clean the bottom sash, starting with the interior of the window.
- Slide the bottom sash back into place and clean the exterior of the window.
- Put the sash back in frame.
- Put the sash back in the lift rail to close the window. Be sure not to close the window from the top, as your window could be damaged as a result.
- Grab yourself a bowl of Skyline Chili to celebrate a job well done.
Best Window Cleaning Supplies
Use standard window cleaners, such as Windex, to clean the glass panes on your windows. To clean the window’s frame, we recommend using magic erasers for vinyl windows and dust cloths and wood polish for your wooden windows. And if it looks off-color from the inside, make sure it’s not the Cincinnati haze first before going too buck-wild with your cleaning supplies.
Upgrading to Double Hung Windows
If you’re looking to upgrade your existing Cincinnati windows to double hung windows from Window Nation, skip the showroom. Have our exterior design consultants come to your Ohio home to discuss the best options for your needs. We offer eight types of windows in a variety of materials to best suit your project’s needs, and keep strong against the unpredictable Cincinnati weather. For more information about replacing your windows, schedule a free in-home consultation with an exterior design consultant today.