With every winter, folks in Ohio are looking for ways to help save money, especially on those expensive heating bills! The pros at Window Nation have a few tricks up our sleeves for saving money in the winter; do you? Here are some great ways we’ve come up with to keep your winter heating bills from emptying out your savings this season!
- Purchase and install a programmable thermostat. This will allow you to modify the temperature of your home even when you’re away from it, to maximize your comfort while you are at home and minimize energy usage while you are away. When installed, make sure it is programmed correctly, not located in an unheated space, not in direct sunlight or near a heat source.
- Inspect filters in your forced air furnace; do this at the beginning of the heating season and monthly after that. If there is significant dust build up, have them cleaned or replaced.
- Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air. This can be good for your lungs and your skin during the winter season, but it can also make you feel warmer inside your home, even when the thermostat is turned down.
- Add insulation to your home by adding foam insulation gaskets behind electrical outlets and switch plate covers.
- Install replacement windows to reduce drafts and energy loss through your windows. Old and drafty windows may have warped or may be inappropriately insulated. Choosing to replace old windows in your home can save you significant amounts of money on your heating bills now and for years to come!