Considerations Before Taking on a DIY Door Installation Project
Do you have skills? Are you the reason there is a shiny new bathroom sink or beautiful ceramic tile on the kitchen floor? We have no doubt you can handle a do-it-yourself project. The question we want you to ask isn’t, “whether or not you should take on that door installation project,” but “whether or not you really want to.” Here are a few things to consider before strapping on your work belt and getting out your jigsaw.
Weird things can go wrong with any project, and door installations are no exception. When you install a door, especially an entry door, you need to make sure everything is measured out properly. You’re the one responsible for every little detail. If you miss anything, you may have:
- Doors that stick when you swing or slide them open.
- Doors that bang on objects inside the home.
- Doors that scrape or bang items outside the home.
- An entryway that doesn’t hold the heat in during the winter.
- An entryway that doesn’t hold the cold in during the summer.
- New doors that don’t take full advantage of all the energy savings a new door can provide. Leaks aren’t the only thing you have to worry about.
- Doors that aren’t secure. When someone comes to break into your home, you want to know that those doors are going to keep them out.
- A door frame that has gaps for ants, cockroaches, and other pests to crawl in through.
- A joint gap that lets water into your walls. We don’t need to tell you how bad that is. Water damage is one of the worst possible outcomes that can result from an installation mistake.
- An entryway that has issues no one else will probably see, but they drive you crazy every time you get home from work.
- A back or knee injury. Unloading and installing doors can be a challenge, and injuries can happen. It is even worse when they happen to someone who has come over to donate their time to your do-it-yourself project.
- A big fat dent or scratch. Yup. It happens. When you install those doors yourself, you could end up with an unsightly ding.
We have no doubt you can handle that new door installation project. But, if you want a worry free installation that saves you all the work and frustration of putting those new doors in, we’d love to help. Give us a call at Window Nation and come take a look at our incredible selection of front doors as well as our french and sliding doors.