So, you have finally done what you said you were going to do for the last several years; you have replaced the old drafty windows in your home with new energy efficient ones. Now, the question is, what do you do with the old windows? This is an easy answer! Keep them and use them to create art or other useful items in or around your home. The trend right now is to turn old items like pallets, barn wood, old doors, sheet metal, and, of course, old windows into something that is both beautiful to look at and functional!
There are many resources that you can use to get inspiration for your home’s windows, but a good place to start is Pinterest. Pinterest can provide you with inspiration and instruction with just the click of a button! Listed below are five ideas that we have come across to hopefully get you started on the right track when re-purposing old windows that you may have lying around your attic or garage.
- Use old windows to create a headboard behind your bed. Use one window or several, depending on the size of the bed and wall, to create a unique headboard. As a bonus, photos or art can be placed behind the windows of the new headboard to create a personalized touch.
- Make a place to hang and store jewelry. Using an old window frame, chicken wire, a hammer, and a few nails you can create a shabby chic place to keep your necklaces, bracelets, and earrings that will have all your friends asking where you bought it from.
- Create a chalkboard to use as a calendar, menu board, or message board using the frame of an old window. This DIY project is a great way to add some style to your home along with a bit of organization.
- Use old window frames to create unique pictures frames. You can paint the wooden frame to add a pop of color or leave it as is for a more rustic feel. DIY window picture frames are a great addition to any room of the house.
- Use windows to create a DIY greenhouse. This project may require a bit of a higher skill level to pull off, but is a great way to re-use a large number of old windows and create an economical greenhouse that is environmentally friendly and beneficial.
Hopefully we have jump started your creativity, and you are ready to put those old windows that have been lying around to good use.
For more information about Window Nation and how we can replace any older windows that are still installed in your home with new energy efficient windows, give us a call today! We would be happy to help you get started choosing the right windows for your home and would love to see the after pictures of how you re-purposed those old windows!