When you are deciding to upgrade your home with replacement windows, there is a lot to consider. The various window styles available can be overwhelming to most consumers.
There are single, double, and triple-paned windows available.
Double and triple-paned windows feature two or three panes of glass, separated by a layer of gas. At Window Nation, we use non-toxic argon gas. When captured between panes, argon gas improves thermal insulation, which improves energy efficiency by slowing the transfer of heat through the window into your home or out of your home.
For a typical home, 40% of the annual energy budget goes toward heating and cooling costs, and replacing the windows in your home is a great way to keep more of that money in your pocket.
Window technologies have come a long way, and having windows that make a good seal is just as important as getting modern ENERGY STAR efficiency.
Since energy efficiency is such an important fact to consider when getting replacement windows, we are often asked, "How much better are triple pane windows than double pane windows at saving money on energy bills?" This is an important question to address. But there are a few other things to consider when deciding between double and triple-paned windows.
Here's what you need to know.
Double pane windows: BEST VALUE
If you break down the math, double pane windows are the best bang for the buck. This is why it is the number one window choice in the entire country. When you upgrade your current windows to double pane windows, you're going to notice the difference.
- If budget is a factor, it makes sense to go with double pane windows for the best deal upfront. A standard double pane window with argon gas is going to reflect 90% of the energy and only let 10% through. That means on a sunny day, 90% of the heat from the sun is going to stay outside, and only 10% is going to get in. On a cold winter day, 90% of the heat from your furnace is going to stay inside your home, and only 10% is going to leak out.
- Do you like natural light? When you have two panes of glass instead of three, you're going to have fewer coatings for the sun to get through. That means double-pane windows will allow more light into your home. It is a subtle difference, but one to consider.
Triple pane windows: MOST ENERGY EFFICIENT
If comfort is your biggest concern, triple pane windows will be the best option. Triple pane windows are within a degree or two of the wall temperatures at any given time.
- A typical triple pane window will reflect 97% of energy and only allow 3% to pass through. These are the optimal choice for energy efficiency; enable your heating and cooling systems to work smarter, not harder.
- Some of our customers are also looking for a reduction in noise. The extra pane of glass makes this window option the number one choice for keeping noise out. If you have noisy neighbors or live near a busy street, triple pane windows will make a significant difference.
- Triple pane glass will also provide extra security. The glass we use has the same technology used in windshield design and can withstand up to 30 swings from a baseball bat.
The good news is, no matter what, double pane or triple pane windows will have an immediate benefit on your energy bills.
If you're ready for a quality of life upgrade, reach out to us today and schedule a free, no-obligation, in-home estimate. We'll send a knowledgeable technician to your home to help you figure out what window options will work best for you.
Only you can decide what matters most to you. We can give you the vital information you need to make the best decision.