Most people talk about trying to save you money on your energy bills in the winter, but it’s important to try to save money on energy bills in the summer too! You still use lots of energy in the summer, especially if you run an air conditioning unit, or even just lots of fans! Here are some very helpful tips to keep your home comfortable this summer while still saving money on your summer cooling costs!
- Sunlight = heat. To reduce heat transfer through windows, use window coverings. Curtains, blinds and shades will reduce the natural light that streams into your home. You can also choose to have replacement windows installed that provide less heat transfer and are more energy efficient.
- Change out the air finder in your air conditioner. This should be done at the beginning of the summer season and then the filter should be cleaned monthly as the summer progresses to make sure that your air conditioning unit is running optimally for maximum energy efficiency.
- Make sure that your home is air-tight by securing windows and doors. Open windows and doors that don’t fit snugly can allow air to escape, which is like sending money right out the window!
- Check for air leaks around electrical outlets, fireplaces and other spots in your home. Close up these leaks as best you can to reduce energy loss.
- Insulate your attic. This can help keep the cool air in and the hot air out (and the opposite is true in the winter!).
- Use a ceiling fan to help circulate the cooled air. This can help your air conditioning unit from having to work overtime to keep your home at the right temperature.
- Schedule a tune-up for your HVAC system to keep it working as efficiently as possible.
- Have reinforced, vinyl siding installed on the exterior of your home; this will improve the look of your home and can improve the energy efficiency of your home as well.
At Window Nation, we have lots of options in both windows and doors to improve the energy efficiency of your home. We know that saving money on your heating and cooling bills is important and it’s good for the environment too. Although you may think installing new doors and windows now may be a major expenditure, these types of changes offer a significant return on investment and can also help make your home more saleable, should you decide to sell! Contact the pros at Window Nation today for more info on replacement windows, doors and vinyl siding for your home and start saving money on your energy bills today!